So--the phrase that everyone likes to toss around is "actions speak louder than words". Kind of a platitude, isn't it?
Or as a close friend/mentor likes to say "simple. not easy."
Do I audition? Yes. Do I study with a coach. Yes. Do I love acting? Well, yes I do as a matter of fact.
But am I REALLY serious about reaching my goals and becoming the best that I am capable of--no mater what level that may or may not be......
That is when things get a LITTLE complicated.....
I decided a long time ago that not doing my best was ok. I don't mean that every day my best effort might be the same.....some days my best is "eh" and other days I feel like I'm ready to take on all comers. That's being human and last time I checked that's an ok thing to be.
It does not mean that I don't show up for myself, don't respect myself, take care of myself, which in turn, helps me be of better service to others. I can't give what I don't have....
So, starting today....
I make an oath to myself and the others who might wander over to this site that I:
1) I will take more risks. Real risks. This doesn't mean being "careless", or "who cares" or any old behavior that I've indulged in before. If it's old, self defeating behavior, then where's the risk.
2) I will actually study. Prepare. Do my best. And then, here's the key for me: relax. Let it go. Pat myself on the back. And go on to the next thing.
3) I will embrace making mistakes. Lots of them. Real whoppers. Smack my forehead "oh shit I messed that up" kind of mistakes. This does not include breaking any laws. ;-)
4) I will cut myself a break. I will cut others a break. After all, at the end of the day, 99.9 of people out there do their best. I know, sometimes I scratch my head on this one, but it's true.
5) I will post SOMETHING on this blog every day. It may be about acting. It may not. Nobody may read it....someone may and come away thinking all sorts of negative things to say. Or positive things. Cool.
6) Woody Allen (mixed feelings about the guy) said it best "90 percent of life is just showing up)
That's all for today.
Until next time.
Hey everyone. I've been in NYC for over 12 years. Before that...all over the place. Born in Pa, grew up in St Augustine Fl, served in the US Army, lived in Washington Dc and now I call New York my home.